Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Work

It is all about the work. I read recently that many of the most successful writers make themselves adhere to a schedule. They write, and write and write. I also have a friend who has promised himself that he will paint one painting a day this year. His work is really showing some great progress. He was a great painter before. But now he is able to compose a painting in a day. A good painting. He is inspired, he is focused. His work is great.

So, today I was thinking that if we call our art "work" I should be adhering to some sort of work ethic. When I first started making glass beads as a living I decided to work every day. Doing my glass work was something I was ready to do, to explore. But some days I didn't want to melt glass, and some days weren't working out for me artistically, etc. So I cleaned out my cabinets, washed glass, sorted out glass rods and made frit. This sounds like avoidance, but it was actually good for me to get going and get organized-because I am not a an organized person or a cleaning nut.

And then I discovered a better and more creative way to make frit (ground up glass that is used in making glass beads) and a new way to make glass beads. I now make the most awesome color frits, in a multitude of color ways that can not be bought anywhere. It has changed how I make beads.

On the same tack-My mom is a really talented artist. however. All of her adult life-with great potential and good art education she has muddled along. This is because she has let so many things get in her way: a clean house, what other people want her to do, what other people think...

So don't let anything get in the way.


No comments: